Thursday, June 28, 2012

Call me a cooking fool!!

So for those who know me know I am NOT a chef..but with needed to cut back on spending I need to actually cook food for my family instead of heating up something frozen, or what we do most often, eat out. So I've really been into looking for crock pot recipes because for 1, they are simple and hardly any work and 2 because they can be oober cheap. So I'm searching and searching and I find a lot of chicken but I want to use hamburger meat so I stumble upon this one (HERE) from foodonthetable.com {great website and awesome app for your phone}

Well I was drawn to the recipe because it says "Easy". Easy is good, I can do easy..lol AND I actually had the ingredients (well I didn't have chile beans but I posted in my awesome Murphy Canyon Mama's group [Military community where I live] and asked if I could sub them for black beans, which I have an abundance of, and they said yes)

{for those who want the recipe here it is, just in case you can't get to the website} :

Easy Crock Pot Chili

Servings: 6  
Ready In: 7 hours 20 minutes 
Prep Time: 10 minutes 
Cook Time: 10 minutes 
Wait Time: 7 hours

Ingredients

  • 1 (15 1/2 ounce can) mild chili beans {*I subbed for black beans*}
  • 1 (15 1/2 ounce can) hot chili beans {*I subbed for black beans*}
  • 2 (pound) ground beef
  • 1 (12.0 ounce jar) salsa
  • 1 (10.0 ounce bottle) ketchup
  • 1 (medium) onion, chopped {*didn't use cause A. I don't have any and B. because I'm not an onion fan which is why I don't have any*}
  • {*I also added some Tabasco sauce, just a little right now, and maybe more afterwards*}

Directions

  1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and onion; cook until beef is cooked through, approximately 8-10 minutes. Drain meat and add to crock-pot. Add remaining ingredients to crockpot. Set the temperature to high and cook for 6 hours.
  2. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for another 1-2 hours.  
So anywho...I didn't realize I had to brown the meat first but that really wasn't a huge deal...here is a pic of everything you need and then all the ingredients all together ready to start cooking.

 (excuse all the mess in the background, that is the boys' playroom)
it's cooking right now and smells sooo yummy (will update the blog later after it's done with how it turned out)

Also for breakfast I made the boys waffles (proud of me cause usually Jason makes them because the couple times I have I have messed up royally, this time I actually didn't)



(it made 3 full waffles but the boys already had gotten into them before I finished all three and could take a pic lol)

So I feel like a pretty good mama right now cooking and being all domesticated and shtuff..lol

No comments:

Post a Comment