Friday, October 5, 2012

Holloween Ghost with the boys

I am supposed to be cleaning today and organizing the garage. What better way to put it off than doing a fun holiday craft with my boys :)

Since it's October and they are old enough to understand holidays I figured we would do some decorating. Now being the frugal mom I am we have been looking around at thrift stores and pretty much just waiting until after Halloween for it all to go on sale (heck yeah I will wait so I can get it for 60% off). So far we only found one cute (but small) little wooden kitty cat thing so I want to do more. I found some fun Pins on Pinterest for Halloween crafts so I got the idea of the boys and I making some decorations.

We've only done one so far but as we do more I will add them.

First decoration: Inspiration

Now I just want to start off saying that I just went onto pinterest and saw all the awsomeness my friend's had pinned and just repinned this without opening it. I also didn't open it to make my own (sorry) Going back and looking at it now I did things differently.

Here is our finished product:
I decided to hang them on the screen (if I had more cotton balls I would have had them make more) But since this was a last minute project I used what I had.

Materials I used:

Scrapbook cardstock paper in black and white (you just need scrap pieces for the black)
Glue sticks
Scissors
Cotton balls
String or ribbon (I actually used shot line because that is all I could find lol)
Hole punch (I couldn't find mine so I used a sharp screw)

*I want to add that I glanced at this when just repinning and did it from memory and was bummed when I could only find orange shot line (from when Hubby was on a ship) I wanted like black or white even but then I looked back at this pin before writing this blog and she used orange too..score 1 for me! lol

All I did was draw out a ghost shape free hand on my paper and then cut it out
 (sorry for the crappy pic, all these were from my phone)

Then I cut out two small circles and one big circle for each ghost and then I was ready to get the boys involved.





All you have to do it spread glue all over the whole ghost (I helped the kids make sure they got every inch) Then give them the cotton balls and let them have at it..
(I did help line some of the edges to show the shape better but for the most part they did it on their own)



They had a blast and are so proud of them :)


Last step is punching a hole (or in my case poking a hole) through the top (but leave enough space on top so it doesn't break through) and tying your string through it and hang or tape up or whatever! :)

Tada:
We might go to the store and get more cotton balls to make more or I might just browse my pins and see what other goodies I can make with what I have on hand :)


No comments:

Post a Comment